Skip to main content

Enjoy Life Foods Brownie Baking Mix Review


My family travelled on an epic two month road trip this summer. No easy feat when faced with remote locations and food allergies. After actually enjoying two months in a minivan with three kids, coming home was bittersweet. A nice surprise was on our doorstep to great us, however. It was not one, but two boxes of goodies from Enjoy Life Foods and Erica over at Celiac and the Beast.
Hitting the road in West Texas

The first box contained snack sized bags of Plentils in a variety of flavours. The girls and my husband devoured these like we had been stranded on a desert island for two months, not traveling throughout North America. I'll share more about these later - pictures of them inhaling Plentils and grunting, "Mmmm", "so gooood...", and "more!" wasn't pretty. When they're feeling more civilized, we'll try again.

The second box contained the Enjoy Life Foods new line of five baking mixes. They're gluten and top 8 free. Since our family is only peanut free, with an avoidance to some milk products, we have no problems eating gluten and do so with gusto. Honestly, my experience with gluten-free items in the past left a bad taste in my mouth - literally and figuratively - so I wasn't jumping up and down to try them out. I expected grainy, bland and something je ne sais quoi. The kids had different ideas - they were begging me to heat up the oven before the bags were unpacked. Just what every mom wants to do after unloading a minivan, right? But since I hadn't been grocery shopping, the cupboards were also bare and so that's exactly what we did.




Yum! The finished product
Up first were the brownies. Because if you don't pick chocolate first in this house, you were obviously switched at birth. I had heard from Sarah at Don't Feed my Monkeys, that the brownies were extra tasty when you added a half cup of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, and so we took her advice. Enjoy Life has made the baking mixes easy peasy - add oil and water, pop them in the oven and voila! Again, I didn't have high hopes for these brownies, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. They were really, really good! If I didn't know better, I would have put money on it that these were made with a traditional recipe. They were moist, gooey, chocolatey goodness and no detection of a grainy taste. The kids shoveled them down - their years of training in polite Canadian manners completely out the window - and declared they were 'the tastiest ever'. And don't think we're all sunshine and roses over here. I really tried to find something troublesome with this mix, but it was an all out hit. I'll definitely add these to our shopping list. I'm thinking they would be perfect for those late nights when you get an "oops, I forgot to let you know before" email from the teacher that reads there will be treats in the classroom tomorrow. And since they require only oil and water, you're not scrambling for exotic ingredients at the 7-11 because it's the only place open late. C'mom, I know you've been there.

So all in all - a big thumbs up from the Blue Bear Aware gang.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

join Allergic Living's response to Chatelaine article - It's Just Nuts

Blue Bear Aware received the following letter from Pam, Associate Editor, Allergic Living and BC Anaphylaxis Advocate 'I am writing to you for your support. In the December issue of Chatelaine, writer Patricia Pearson's article, 'It's Just Nuts' offers up a distorted view of the kids with food allergies in our schools. You can read the article at the following link: http://en.chatelaine.com/english/weekend/article.jsp?content=20091001_150000_0023 Please e-mail me back if you want to have your signature added to the following letter, which we are sending to Chatelaine magazine and asking their editors to publish. I need your name, city/town/prov, and e-mail - the latter for verification only from Chatelaine's fact-checker. e.g. NOT for publication. pamela2543@shaw.ca I need these soonest. It will then be sent to Chatelaine on behalf of all of us. Please pass this letter on to your network of friends and family so they can add their voices. T

Bluebearaware.com Store is closing

Store Closing We've heard that before... On December 31, 2018, the storefront for  bluebearaware.com  will be shut down. As the owner of this amazing online retailer, I can assure you that this is a genuine closing. Further, I do not have any intention of selling the business. On the contrary, I plan to keep Blue Bear alive. YES! We'll still be here. Just not selling products for the foreseeable future. What can you expect to see in the future? I love bringing smiles to people's faces. I love knowing that I have made someone feel important. To let them know that I see them and they matter. I have a big a-s, bleeding heart. I know it. I own it. I want to save the world, one person at a time. I've been a crisis counselor. I've worked with the women's shelter. In our food allergic community, I started as a support group leader. To say that those experiences were rewarding is absolutely an understatement, but my life has changed since then. I have so

The Food Allergy Mom's New 'All Nighter'

It is now just before midnight on a Saturday night and I am wide awake. I'd like to say that I'm channeling my more lighthearted side before children and partying the night away. But I'm not. No. Instead I am about to embark on another all nighter to monitor my son, Aiden. Tonight he went for a walk with his Nana (grandma) and his sister and no sooner reached the entrance to the park when he mysteriously tossed his cookies. The way you hear Nana describe it, he emptied his insides out to the point where she almost caught the cookie tossing bug. He's six years old so you may be thinking 'So What. Kids barf all the time.' Yep. However, in Aiden's case, throwing up is often the first thing he does when having a reaction to food. Experts tell us that reactions can vary every time and I do believe them. Yet, with Aiden we have seen vomiting almost every single time. He is also one of those few have had biphasic reactions even as late as a day and half later. (