Skip to main content

New Owner. New Site. Still Blue Bear Aware.

BlueBearAware.com. This food allergy focused resource has changed owners a few times now but in spite of its many lives, it has remained a popular site for clothing and accessories to help protect food allergic children. There are now several similar resources available but Blue Bear has been around for quite a while now. As a mother of a child with multiple, life threatening food allergies, I came to know and love Blue Bear several years ago. I've loved it every since.

For the past 5 years, I met and befriended many of the familiar names in the food allergy community. I am proud and grateful to consider many of them friends. Passionate and intelligent people who have dedicated much of their lives to helping those of us dealing with or caring for someone with life threatening food allergies. These people are incredible. They aren't out there for the money. They aren't out there for prestige and fame. They do what they do to save lives. They are out there to help us. My words could never express the amount of love and gratitude that I have for each of them. Every time I chatted with them, I thought 'If only there was something more that I could do to help'. Then I learned that Blue Bear Aware was closing.

Last year when I heard about Blue Bear shutting down, I reached out to the owner. I didn't want to see Blue Bear close. What do you mean that I would never get to see Blue, that cute little bear again?!?! I just couldn't think of that. As well known as the site was, several bloggers were lamenting about the impending close. So I made an offer to the owner and she accepted.

I work a full-time job outside the home as a very successful IT Project Manager. I have many hobbies and personal interests. I am a wife and a mother to 2 awesome children (4 & 6). My 6 year old is my multiple food allergy child who is practically a study in all things Atopic. I am busy. That said, it is my goal to keep Blue Bear active until food allergies are cured. And I do wholeheartedly hope/wish/pray for that cure even though I have a bigger vision for Blue Bear Aware. There will be many exciting things to come over the next year. But for now, just know that Blue Bear Aware is still open and we are still here for you.



Jennifer Burch
Owner and Chief Aware Bear



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

join Allergic Living's response to Chatelaine article - It's Just Nuts

Blue Bear Aware received the following letter from Pam, Associate Editor, Allergic Living and BC Anaphylaxis Advocate 'I am writing to you for your support. In the December issue of Chatelaine, writer Patricia Pearson's article, 'It's Just Nuts' offers up a distorted view of the kids with food allergies in our schools. You can read the article at the following link: http://en.chatelaine.com/english/weekend/article.jsp?content=20091001_150000_0023 Please e-mail me back if you want to have your signature added to the following letter, which we are sending to Chatelaine magazine and asking their editors to publish. I need your name, city/town/prov, and e-mail - the latter for verification only from Chatelaine's fact-checker. e.g. NOT for publication. pamela2543@shaw.ca I need these soonest. It will then be sent to Chatelaine on behalf of all of us. Please pass this letter on to your network of friends and family so they can add their voices. T

Bluebearaware.com Store is closing

Store Closing We've heard that before... On December 31, 2018, the storefront for  bluebearaware.com  will be shut down. As the owner of this amazing online retailer, I can assure you that this is a genuine closing. Further, I do not have any intention of selling the business. On the contrary, I plan to keep Blue Bear alive. YES! We'll still be here. Just not selling products for the foreseeable future. What can you expect to see in the future? I love bringing smiles to people's faces. I love knowing that I have made someone feel important. To let them know that I see them and they matter. I have a big a-s, bleeding heart. I know it. I own it. I want to save the world, one person at a time. I've been a crisis counselor. I've worked with the women's shelter. In our food allergic community, I started as a support group leader. To say that those experiences were rewarding is absolutely an understatement, but my life has changed since then. I have so

Blogging about The Blue Bear Aware bloggy Blog

Shortly after acquiring Blue Bear Aware, it quickly hit me how much I had taken on myself. I realized that I didn't necessarily want to give any of it up as a whole, but the easiest way for me to continue writing, food allergy support, advocacy, running BlueBearAware.com , working Full Time outside the home, raising two children, keeping house and try (I do try) to be a good wife, yada yada yada... was to simplify areas of my life. If you know me, then you know how incredibly difficult that is for me to do but I knew I needed to do that and it would require some hard decisions. One of the first decisions that I made to start simplifying was to significantly reduce the number of support groups I lead or played admin for. I began by turning over the Ann Arbor No Nuts Moms Support Group Leadership to three awesome ladies. I'm so glad they stepped up to take the group on because these three have proven to be an incredible team dedicated to connecting with and helping the food a